Friday, May 06, 2005

What are they running now a Zoo?

Yesterday Raven had a bad day. Now for most people this would not be news. For my baby it is news. Raven is the most upbeat and cheerful guy I know. In the entire year we have been together I can count on one hand how many bad days he has had. In fact yesterday makes two. I was blow drying my hair when he called. He started the conversation in the usual way. "hi baby, I love you." The next question is also standard fair for our conversations. "what are you doing?" Raven is always interested in what I am doing and how I am. I told him that I was going out for Cinco De Mayo. He was a little peeved that we hadn't spoken about it earlier. Now that in itself warned me that he was not having a good day. My man has never had a problem with me going out. He trusts me, just as I would never do anything to damage that trust. So I said "Baby, if you don't want me to go out. Just say so, I can stay home." For people who know me. I don't usually listen to anyone. The difference with Raven is I love him. While I won't take orders. I will take his feelings in to consideration. Thats what people do when they love each other. Well when I said I wouldn't go, his attitude changed. I asked him what was wrong. He said he was having a fucked up day. They had him working since 6:30 am. He went to commisary and they hadn't taken out the money for his boots. Which meant they had not been ordered. It's bad enough that Raven has a problem with his ankle, that it took the Dr. at the prison over 8 months to get him the permission to have 8" boots. Now that he has all the permission in order the powers that be are still fucking with him. Add to those issues the stress of coming up for parole May 20, not talking to me all day and you have a cranky convict. It took this wonderful man 4 minutes to stop grouching and start loving. Not what I was used to. Others in my life would take days to get over the littlest slight. Maybe thats reason 201 of why I love Raven. We talk for the next 11 minutes. I told him how sorry I was that his day was bad and how much I loved him. Asked him to keep it under control so he could go before the board and make a good impression. We ended the call on a good note and said we loved each other. He then tells me that they are putting them on lock down early because there is an open house at the prison. So I joked They never invited me. We both laughed as the 10 second MCI dude came on. Said a quick love you and got disconnected.
Then I started to think about it. Open house for guests. Does that mean that they lock the guys in their cells and let people come look at them. Crazy, I can just imagine. "Now ladies and gentlemen on the left is a fine speciman of Chiricahua Apache Male, noted for the shiny blue black hair, the sexy dark brown eyes and the nice body. They have a tendancy to be smart alecks, with bad attitudes. They do not respond well to authority and can be violent when you threaten their family. Oh don't get to close they have been known to bite."
I mean come on people don't we as a society punish law breakers enough. They are separated from their family, told what to do and when to do it. They are at the mercy of people who for the most part are uneducated and power hungry. In a system that doesn't give a rats ass about them. Now we are treating them as zoo animals.
How can these guys or girls be expected to come out after a long stay in the system and make a good life for themselves and their family. I have said it before and will say it with my dying breath, We cannot treat people like animals, expect them to be fine on the outside, then punish them when they bite! In the mean time can you just send that Fine Apache male home to me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home