Monday, May 09, 2005

Phone calls and inequalities

When you have a long distance relationship you make long distance calls, Make the calls to keep in touch with the person you love. Hear his/her voice and to catch up on their life. Which do to what ever reason you can not be a 24/7 part of.
The phone is the line that make this distance bearable. Now some times you can travel on your days off to see your loved one; or at least when vacation time rolls around you can vacation together. When You have a loved one in prison, the system seems to do everything to separate you from your loved one. In the normal prison situation they charge you crazy prices for your phone calls. The also control how long you may talk. In Ohio you can talk for 15 minute increments for as long as you want to keep calling. In Texas you get to talk for a whopping 5 minutes once every 30 days. Other states have different time limits. The only thing that is universal in Prison phone calls is that they are more expensive then normal long distance calls.
In fact they are ridiculous. I am one of the more lucky ones my calls can be anywhere from $4.18 per call during peak hours. During non peak hours they are $2.48 per call. Now this may sound like its reasonable amount till you multiply it by 30 days. If you except more then 1 call a day it goes up in accordance. That would be high in a normal prison relationship.
Raven and I don't have a normal prison relationship. We met when I was a c/o and he was in my institution. So we are being punished, punished hard. For 4 months they wouldn't let me write to him, or him write to me. We snuck and did what we had to do to keep in touch with the one we loved. No phone calls because he was in segregation. Once he was out of the hole the phone calls gave us a new way to fall in love. We went overboard on the calls, and still do. We don't get visits, after being together for a year we are still being punished. No visits not now not ever according to the warden were Raven is incarcerated now. So we use the phone. He calls way to much, mostly because I ask him to call, then when he is on the phone as the 10 second MCI dude is saying his speel. I ask him to call me back. No time for arguments, no time for him to say no. He just calls back. I love that man. So today I get the newest phone bill $678.78 for one month. There is no way I can continue paying that kind of phone bill. Today I had to tell Raven that no matter how much I loved him I couldn't continue to pay that high of a phone bill. The most unfair about the whole situation is that now we don't get to visit, and there is no more calling when ever we want. So as I was telling the man of my dreams that he couldn't call me when he wanted or needed me. Crying because not only do we have to curb our calls but we still don't get to see, or hold each other.
The ODRC may have won this battle, but we will win the war. Our love is more secure now then ever. Take that MCI dude!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the truth is that you've been tested and tested and tested and you are still going strong (okay, somedays, just going, but still) so keep your chin up. You WILL overcome this. I know how hard this is for you and I'm sorry that it has to be this way - it's only temporary, girly. You can do this.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005  
Blogger Ravenslove said...

thanks, I know it will get better.
it just makes it harder every day.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home