Thursday, February 24, 2005

For the love of long distance.

Yesterday I found out that my long distance service is cut off. There are a few very important people in my life that I contact by long distance. My best friend D in California, My Mom and Dad in Ohio and my other friend DD in Ohio. So I have been patiently waiting for my friends to get in touch so I can tell them it's off. D was the first to call, which is what I would have bet on. D and I talk at least a couple of hours a day. The funniest part of that is when I am freaked about something, it will only take minutes for the phone to ring and it will be her. Now when I had long distance, it was the same way with me when she was having a bad day. We can't count how many times we have reached for the phone, had it ring in the instant we touched it. I guess thats what best friends are for.
With mom and Dad it was just a little longer. They called mainly because it was my day off yesterday and I hadn't called to find out how my mom was. So we are back to the signal that we used when I was in college. Call, let it ring twice and hang up, then they know it's me to call back. It's amazing how when things get tuff we sometimes resort back to our old childhood tricks, and to our parents.
That left one person to figure out that my long distance is off. That would be my friend from ohio DD. Now DD has a wonderful daughter named Nicky, Nicky is very sick. Has had many operations and feels bad more times then she feels good. I thought it would take at least a week or two for DD to notice I hadn't called her. She is always caring for Nicky, always on the run and busy. It was a day and a half. She called and left a message on my machine this morning. Said she missed me and that she has been working allot of OT and would call me tonight.
The funny thing about long distance is when you have it, you have the ability to reach out and contact all the people you care about. When it's shut off, you realize how much people care about you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home