Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Lunch with Matt

I have a brother, actually I have two. One John is another story for a different time. Matt, he is my little brother. That sounds funny since he is more mature and responsible then either John or I. Any way we went to lunch today. I love spending time with my brother. He is funny, charming and very witty. We have wonderful conversations. He keeps me on my toes. Makes me think and plan. Today was the Raven conversation. My brother and his wife are awesome. They may not always agree with my choices in life but they will fight for my ability to choose. They can't quite understand what I see in Raven. A man who is seven years younger then me and incarcerated. What can he provide for you. What if when he gets out he is not a good man. Could he be lying to me. many questions. All good ones. All legitimate questions. They love me and they want me to be safe. The new concern is that when Raven gets out will he hurt my brother's wife. I admit that when I heard that I wanted to get mad. But, We have all heard about inmates who come out and commit another crime. It makes headline news. We never hear about the inmate who came out started his/her life over and never committed another crime.
What I say is I believe when Raven gets out he will be good to me. Yes, he has promised me time and time again. He loves me, Wants me to be protected and cared for. I love him, I want to help him be a law abiding citizen. I want to show him the love that he didn't get from friends and family when he was young. I tell Matt, He is honest, caring and loving. I know we will be fine. I finally quote a line from a book, The Prisoners Wife, by Ashe Bandel, In it she asks a friend "could you turn your back on the greatest love you have ever known, just because you found it in the worse place, you've ever been." My answer is No. I can't turn my back on Raven. He makes me laugh, believes in my ability to get things done. Writes me love letters, draws me beautiful pictures, and talks me through bad days. What he gives me is happiness, support and love. That would be my answer to Matt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home