Sunday, February 13, 2005

mugzy goin for a ride


mugzy goin for a ride
Originally uploaded by ravenslove.
This is mugzy, when I bought my house she came in the package deal. When I met her she had 12 years of matted hair. burrs and assorted nasty stuff in her hair. Yet underneath it all she appeared to be a sweet dog. I started feeding her. Everyday, something she was not used to. She started following me every where. Something I wasn't used to. I eventually brought her into the house. She was perfectly happy laying on the floor next to me. She never had an accident in the house.
She would just sit and watch me. I took her to be groomed. I swear she went from being two feet wide to this skinny little white dog with a feathery tail. When I took her home my family shooed her away because they didn't recognize her.
Mugsy was attacked by the neighbors German Shepard while we where away. The vet didn't think she would make it. When we where picked up at the airport we went right to the emergency vets office. they said she hadn't moved since she was brought in. When I walked in the room, she raised her head looked right at me an wagged her tail. All the while whining. We took her home that night. I slept on the floor with her in our living room. She and I cried all night long. The next morning she made the worst sound I have ever heard. I finally realized that she had to go out side and didn't want to do it in the house. So I picked her up, carried her outside and held her while she went. what a good dog. She eventually made a full recovery. She was one of the best dogs I have ever known. Every once in a while she would come over to you. Set her head on your lap. I would ask her " Whats a matter girl, do you need a little love?" She would put her front paws around your shoulder. I swear she would give you a hug.
We went to Washington, to the Rolling Thunder. We left the dogs, Mugzy included with our kids. We where on the motorcycles. When we pulled into Washington there was a message on my cell phone. Mugzy was hit by a car and we don't know what to do. I called back as soon as I heard the message. When my daughter in law answered the phone I told her you rush her to the vet. She said they did and that Mugzy didn't make it. I cried, no cried isn't the right word, I wailed and mourned her. She had such a hard life, 11 years of scavenging for food and love. She deserved more then two years of being loved and cared for. I wanted to have her longer.
The dog catcher had other ideas. You see Mugzy had never been on a chain or in a fenced in area. We had a fence for the dogs. Houdini dog could get out no matter how we tried to keep her in. She never left our yard. The dog catcher saw her running in our yard one day and stopped to say something about it. I told him that she never left the yard. He said sure in that snide way people in authority do. Anyway, when we where gone he came onto our property. Mugzy was sleeping in the yard in a patch of sun. He tried to grab her. She was scared, she never let anybody pick her up but me. She ran, he chased her right out into the busy road in front of our house. The kids ran out to stop him. He tried to grab her again.
She ran from him, right in front of a pickup coming up the hill. I don't blame the driver. He couldn't help it. I blame the dog catcher. Why he had to chase her, we will never know. All I know is she is gone, waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge, with Winston, Harriett, Crunch and Duchess. Yes I am a dog lover but those are stories for next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home