Wednesday, March 30, 2005

We are everywhere!

Today I met my new neighbor. Her dog and my dog decided to run and play even though zoey was still on a leash tied to H.
Once I put Lupina in a down stay, H and I started talking. I invited her up to the apartment for a short visit. She had a pop and stayed for about 45 minutes. Toward the end of the conversation I casually mentioned that my husband would be calling after 12 pm. She asked where he was and what does he do? I said he had a secure position with the State of Ohio. She looked puzzled so I laughed and said he was incarcerated at RCI. She laughed and said your kidding right. When I said no I wasn't kidding, she put out her hand and shook mine again as she had when we first met. She then told me her fiancee was incarcerated at Grafton Correctional. We talked for another 20 minutes. She said she had not told anyone that her man was in prison. I told her that every one knew where my heart was. She asked if anyone ever treated me different. I said I didn't think so. But that we where everywhere. There is a young lady I work with she has 10 people in her family that are incarcerated. Including 5 brothers, most serving over 20 years. One on Death row and one with LWOP. (life with out parole)
Another guy I work with has two cousins and an uncle in different prisons. That is only two of the 300 people who work at my company. How many others have not admitted to having an incarcerated family member. Considering there are 32 institutions, in the state of Ohio, with a designed capacity of 35,429 beds and a total population of 43,567 the prisons are at 122.97% of capacity. Now if you figure that each inmate has an average of 3 immediate family members, most of whom, have never been in trouble and are gainfully employed in the real world. That leaves 130,701 people out in the neighborhood. We could be your Dr. your bank rep, even your tele-marketer. We work at grocery stores, auto parts shops. We are your police officers and your Corrections officers. No line of work or social level is untouched by prisons. Most of us either know someone who is in, know someone who's family is in or has family in themselves. With that many people involved, why would we continue to let our prisoners be mistreated. All of America was in an uproar when the prisoners in Abu Ghraib Prison in Iraqi where tortured. Yet there are more stories of abuse and mistreatment right here at home in United States Prisons, yet no one wants to stand up and demand that it stop. As I have said in another post, most of these people will get out. We need to educate them. Teach them a skill. Show them that to get respect you need to give it. Ok back to the title. We as family, friends of those 43,567 Ohio prisoners need to learn to stand together. We have to watch and fight against injustices done to our loved ones. After all WE ARE EVERYWHERE!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ravenslove said...

Thanks Molly,
It helps to know there are caring people out there as well.

Peace

Ravenslove

Thursday, March 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ravenlove!!!!
It's me miss disfunctional family...It's nice to know that we are truly everywhere...Even the nieghbor has skeletons LOL...LOL...LMAO...You writings are a work of art....TTYL

Saturday, April 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when you get up on your soapbox!

Tuesday, April 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home