Wednesday, March 23, 2005

How fucked up is this?


doublecellSolano
Originally uploaded by ravenslove.
So D sent me a picture of a double cell at Solano prison in California. That would be where her man is. At the time I looked at it I said it made the cells at Ross Correctional in Ohio look like the Marriott.
The only problem was I was going on the premise that Ross cells where similar to the ad seg cells at LaECI. I spoke with Raven this morning and found out that the cells at Ross are the same size as the ones in Solano. I was feeling pretty sorry for my friend C as well as Raven. No man or woman should be stuffed into a cell this size. As my man would say especially not a wild Indian. They are sometimes on lock down for days. Can you imagine being locked into an area the size of a small bathroom with another person for hours at a time. Doing the things we do everyday in private. No wonder there is violence in prison. The overcrowding is cruel and unusual punishment.
D told me that the prison was originally built for 2,000 they have over 6,000 inmates at this time.
Now I realize anyone reading this post may or may not give a shit about inmates, but you should give a shit about the fact that most of these men are going to get out. They may be moving to your neighborhood. I do believe that if you do the crime you need to do the time. What I don't believe is that you have to over work correction officers so that their attitudes suck so bad that they treat inmates like animals. I also don't believe that you need to treat inmates like animals. Their punishment is that they are incarcerated away from their family and friends. They must follow rules that would drive most of us crazy. To be treated like animals does nothing except fill them with hate and anger. I don't think they need coddling. They need education and life skills. Not warehousing. Eventually most will get out. Do you want them angry, filled with hate or with a job skill and life skills. When they move into your neighborhood.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really well said.

Thursday, March 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home