Saturday, May 31, 2008

What I learned from Sex in the City.

Big opening this week. Lots of diva's dressed to the hilt. Some with their gay male friends on their arms. Lots of tears and lots of laughter. No spoiler in this blog but what I can tell you is that Samantha is a lot more then just sex. In the movie when they are talking about the changes in their relationship. Samantha says how I feel. Some how she has been so concentrated on loving him, she forgot to love herself first.

I can feel the sentiment on that one. How do you go about recovering the love you should have for yourself. What if you haven't ever had it. I spent three months in the progress of learning to love my self. I had 20 years of loving a husband and children (not mine by blood, mine by nurture and love)Four kids and one man (ha) no time to learn. Then we were over and I moved out.

I had three months on my own. After that time I met my husband, Raven. There was so much drama associated with loving a man in prison that I lost my self again. For a while it was OK. He lost and gave up as much as I did. Or so I thought. We were blissful for 5 years. Then the parole board hit. Now I wonder who am I. The woman before Sept 12, 2007 or the one after.

Samantha taught me that it isn't all Raven that is causing the problems we are going through. It's me as well. Me who can't stand up for what I want and what I should be. Me who's inner voice plays vile words from an ex-husband in my head over and over again. Me who never learned to love myself in any worthy manor.

While I learned from Samantha I am not willing to reach the level that she did. I love my husband with all my heart. I believe that we are just going through a very long and shitty phase. What I do need to do is train my inner voice to be nice to myself. Then I won't be so dependant on others to fulfill that role. You see that role carries a lot of pressure. No one can say what you want to hear when your own voice won't say it to you.

So that's what I learned from Samantha in Sex in the City.
Love your self first. Others will follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home